Mmm, Thai cooking. If you love a contrast of flavor, this sweet, spicy and fresh Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup by Taste, Love & Nourish will be a new go-to in your kitchen!
The key ingredient? Unsweetened coconut milk. The Silk brand in the recipe below is not only low in calories, but also low in fat compared to other coconut milk blends.
Take a look at the full blog post here, and keep reading for an overview of this delicious Thai recipe.
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
Serves: 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 4 teaspoons minced lemongrass or lemongrass paste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups Silk Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- sea salt to taste
- lime wedges, for serving
- fresh cilantro or parsley, for serving
- green onion, sliced, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, ginger and lemongrass. Give it a stir, then add the curry, crushed red pepper flakes and the broth. Increase the heat to medium-high bringing the broth to a light boil. Add the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk and cabbage. Increase the heat just a bit and as soon as the soup comes to another very light simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Season with salt to taste. Serve in bowls and top with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro or parsley, green onion and additional crushed red pepper if you’d like.
Read more at Taste, Love & Nourish.